Saturday, October 13, 2012

How I Came to Sparkle Again by Kaya McLaren Book Review

When Cravebox announced that they would be having a Limited Edition Book Lover's box, I was so excited and really hoping that I would be one of the lucky ones chosen for it. We would not be told what book that would be included, but several people speculated it would be Kaya McLaren's How I Came to Sparkle Again and they were right! I am always up for a book that will make me both laugh and cry and this one did both more times than I can count.

The book is about 3 people trying to cope with different losses they have dealt with and to try and live their lives again. One is a little girl Cassie, who has lost her mom to cancer, another is her father Mike who has lost his wife and the last is a woman named Jill who has had several things happen that have made her leave her home in Austin, Texas to go back to her childhood home of the small ski town of Sparkle, Colorado.

The heaviness of the three trying to cope with their losses is broken up by the comic relief of Jill's best friend Lisa's crazy ski bum neighbors who live in a trailer they dub "The Kennel" and by the profound, although usually confusing thoughts of Jill's uncle Howard.

There is a lot going on in this story, there are many little side stories going on, but not in a way that makes the novel confusing. In fact, one of those little stories- the relationship between Lisa and Kennel member Tom- was probably the most interesting thing to me in the book. I really enjoyed wondering and following along to find out where things would go to with those two.

The only complaint I would have is that there is some really harsh language, so some of my more conservative readers might want to stay away due to that and blunt talk about sexual situations might also keep some from reading. However, I really enjoyed the story and it wasn't so bad most of the time that it would bother me to the point that I needed to stop reading the book.

I would recommend How I Came to Sparkle Again to anyone who enjoys a good romance, likes to laugh a lot and doesn't mind crying a little (or maybe more than a little.)

Connect with Kaya McLaren on her Website
Connect with Kaya McLaren on Facebook
Connect with Kaya McLarenn on Twitter
Connect with Kaya McLaren on Goodreads

*Disclosure- I did not receive any compensation or free products for this review. All opinions are 100% my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment